Hellobox 8 upgrade introduction

gxu
Designer
Designer

Hellobox 8 upgrade introduction

Post by gxu » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:51 am

USB Upgrade
  • Take the firmware hellobox8_20190617.bin as an example below
  • Put the firmware hellobox8_20190617.bin into the USB root directory, and insert the USB to the box
  • Go to Mainmenu -> tools -> USB upgrade menu
  • Select the firmware hellobox8_20190617.bin in Upgrade file field
  • Select "Yes" option in Save data field if you want to save the programs/user settings/accounts, or "No" if you want a clean new firmware
  • Press OK on Start to start the upgrading process
  • Wait for the process to complete, it will reboot automatically

Exceptions:
It will prompt "Upgrade fail" if your firmware is not suitable for Hellobox 8.
Backup firmware with USB
  • It is strongly recommended to back up the firmware before upgrading
  • Go to Mainmenu -> tools -> USB upgrade menu
  • Press RED key to dump current firmware(including all your programs/user settings/..) to USB
  • Notice the red prompt of the dump file name at the bottom of the menu
  • Backup firmware can be used to restore all your previous information

Network upgrade
  • If a new Hellobox 8 firmware version is released, Hellobox 8 will display "Found New Version" at startup
  • Connect to the network correctly, and go to Mainmenu -> tools -> Network upgrade menu
  • Select "Yes" option in Save data field if you want to save the programs/user settings/accounts, or "No" if you want a clean new firmware
  • Press OK on Start, then the box will check the version information on the server
  • Check the version information about current Hellobox 8 version and the latest stable version on the server, and select "Yes" if you want to upgrade
  • Wait for the process to complete, it will reboot automatically

Exceptions:
It will prompt "Upgrade fail" if the box cannot get version information or box firmware on the server
It will also fail if the firmware is corrupted after downloading
If it takes too long to download, you can power off the box only if the progress is less than 50%.
DO NOT POWER OFF the box if the progress is bigger than 50%!
Exception handle
For some unexpected reason, your Hellobox 8 may crash, and fail to start properly. Don't panic, check it out:
Turn on the Hellobox 8 power, and check the panel LED display
  • If the front panel LED can display "boot" as shown below, that's fine, please follow auto upgrade section
  • If there is no front panel LED display when bootup :(, please follow RS232 upgrade section
Auto upgrade
  • Turn off the Hellobox 8 power
  • Rename the firmware to auto_burn.fac, and place it in the USB root directory
  • Insert the USB into Hellobox 8, and turn on the power
  • The box will display "USB" for about 5~10 seconds if the USB is detected correctly, and the upgrade process will start automatically. The panel will show the progress "U0xx"
  • When finished, "FFFF" will be displayed.
  • REMOVE THE USB AND DELETE THE auto_burn.fac FILE IN USB!!!
  • Turn off and turn on the box, it will be back
exceptions:
If step 4 does not work, please try another USB. As known, some USB does not work properly in this case.
If step 6 is forgotten, the box will upgrade again and again.
So remember to remove the "auto_burn.fac"!
RS232 upgrade

This is the last way to recover the box. it requires you to open the box cover and connect the RS232 cable to PC.
  • Remove the screws under the box
  • Open the box very carefully! The WIFI antenna is connected to the box cover
  • Insert a 3-wire RS232 interface, and connect the RS232 to PC with a RS232 cable
  • Please refer to readme_upgrade.jpg/readme_download.jpg for hellobox8_upg usage.
For online copy of this introduction, please refer to here
Last edited by gxu on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Yawwilson
T4
T4

Re: Hellobox 8 upgrade introduction

Post by Yawwilson » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am

My dear designer! can one use this instructions ..auto_burn.fac...for the V5plus too? will it work...

AZCoder
T2
T2

Post by AZCoder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Wong_Kene wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm
Yawwilson wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am
My dear designer! can one use this instructions ..auto_burn.fac...for the V5plus too? will it work...
Check your Whatsapp
Could I get the answer to this question too?

gxu
Designer
Designer

Post by gxu » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:02 am

AZCoder wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Wong_Kene wrote:
Yawwilson wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 am
Check your Whatsapp
V5Plus also support this function If you are using some newer version of V5Plus.
How to know if it has or not: check if it displays "boot" or not, no "boot" no this function.
I'd like to notify you, some USB can not be recognized in this auto upgrade, you can try another USB if one does not work

AZCoder
T2
T2

Post by AZCoder » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 am

gxu wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:02 am
AZCoder wrote:
Wong_Kene wrote:

Check your Whatsapp
V5Plus also support this function If you are using some newer version of V5Plus.
How to know if it has or not: check if it displays "boot" or not, no "boot" no this function.
I'd like to notify you, some USB can not be recognized in this auto upgrade, you can try another USB if one does not work
I renamed a backup .bin file to auto_burn.fac and booted. It replaced the current software with the new one. It started with boot display and then went to ffff and change was complete. This is a great way to get back to square one with the receiver and then apply your changes again. Much easier than the RS-232 method. Thanks for the information and the great support.

gxu
Designer
Designer

Post by gxu » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:27 am

AZCoder wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 am
gxu wrote:
AZCoder wrote:

I renamed a backup .bin file to auto_burn.fac and booted. It replaced the current software with the new one. It started with boot display and then went to ffff and change was complete. This is a great way to get back to square one with the receiver and then apply your changes again. Much easier than the RS-232 method. Thanks for the information and the great support.
One thing to mention: in auto upgrade way, no information will save for previous software. So be careful about it!
Also remember to delete auto_burn.fac after upgrade, or it will upgrade over and over again.

AZCoder
T2
T2

Post by AZCoder » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 pm

gxu wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:27 am
AZCoder wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 am
gxu wrote:

One thing to mention: in auto upgrade way, no information will save for previous software. So be careful about it!
Also remember to delete auto_burn.fac after upgrade, or it will upgrade over and over again.
It also allowed me to unpair the remote which was giving me problems. Thanks again!

Yawwilson
T4
T4

Post by Yawwilson » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:07 pm

gxu wrote:
AZCoder wrote:
Wong_Kene wrote:

Check your Whatsapp
Thanks,, do appreciate your response..

malik0109
T1
T1

Post by malik0109 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:19 pm

hellobox 8 firmware??????

malik0109
T1
T1

Post by malik0109 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:21 pm